Milazzo...History

 

croce di mare

The area of ​​Milazzo, the site of an ancient Neolithic settlement (4000 BC) and Sicilian, suffered between the ninth and eighth centuries BC a progressive Hellenization, until the foundation, by Greek colonists in 716 BC, Mylai, in an area falling on the first engagement with the mainland peninsula, distinguishable in the first high seas and in its southern slopes to the lowlands. The Imperial Age, Byzantine and Arab rule later confirm the site of the settlement greek. The Normans built a fort, which still remains a square tower. The work of fortification on the plateau, however, was organized by Frederick II of Swabia in the first half of XIII century. At the end of the century, James of Aragon dilating the walls outlining an initial closing of the Village, built on the southern slopes closer. A half-century. XIV, outside these walls, there were at noon Casali, Angevin development arising from buildings during a long siege of the city. Alfonso of Aragon in the fifteenth century, while settlements were commenced in the lower area around Casali, strengthened defense at the top of the castle with a mighty fortification walls and other works are more advanced. Along the XVI century Milazzo reached the three morphological configuration (walled town, village, Lower City) is still discernible: since the thirties of the century was built a great wall that murava the upper town, settled on the plateau outside the city of Aragon, distinguishing it from the village, cut off, on hillside. In turn, the village was seconded from the Lower City with the building of the Spanish Quarter, whose work was begun in 1585 at the barrier of access to the peninsula. As the seventeenth century privilegiassegli settlements within the same village, was increasingly emphasizing the vocation level of urban development.

The eighteenth century, in fact. not only saw the most significant flood plain building initiatives, but finally saw the interests of residential abandon the walled city and reduce those for the same village. The XIX century the city opened a new urban criteria and, if he threw the foundations for further development level of the city in southern and western areas, the plan Cumbo Borgia (1893) is equipped with a new road in the heart of eighteenth-century , whose implementation was delayed finoltre 1936, when it began to be operating plan Savoy, who had in fact inherited the programmatic guidelines of the previous century plan.
Turn left in Via Colonel Magistri, and immediately right in Via Rizzo, from which, for the first right (Via Birago) to reach the coast, via dei Mille, which you find yourself on the left: right looms the port protected from the wide peninsula and the first hill on which are perched on the old castle and cathedral. So left behind and left of the twentieth-century urban sprawl, you come in off of the Thousand, the first boundary of the sixteenth-century walled city: it was located in off the port  Messina, whom he described in fact the entrance to town is an urban limit and land together.


www.bbcasacento.it - info&bookings  : tel. +39 333/8494799 e@mail: bbcasacento@email.it